Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Savusavu harbor
Last week went pretty well. I got some good work done concerning my IGP project that I am working on, I made it out to the beach up west of here for the first time, and xavier continues it's winning streak. It was nice to get out to the water again this weekend, I find I miss it a bit being stuck here in town for most of my weeks. While we were there, Bill (the married volunteer here in town) and I made friends with a group of FEA employee celebrating one of their birthdays. I'm not sure I've made this clear on the blog here, but some of the music that makes it across the pond to Fiji is pretty interesting; some of the bands that are huge here are what I would call a bit unexpected. For example, Shania Twain is big, as is UB40, Shawn Kingston, and Celine Dion. As we walk over to party a bit with these guys, several of them are up and dancing (a bit intoxicatedly) to Celine Dion, which of course was playing at full volume. It was hilarious. To see 10 grown Fijian men singing at the top of their lungs and dancing to a 60 minute celine dion mix CD is a sight to behold.

This past week I have also been able to start running again. If you didn't know, I strained a ligament in my ankle that has kept me down for the last several weeks. So, it's quite nice to be getting back out there and training again.

I leave tomorrow to go down to Savusavu to visit their pearl farms. Apparently the Ministry of Fisheries is offering a program that will allow rural villages to collect and sell Spate clam young to their pearl farms. It looks to be a relatively lucrative industry for some of the small communities and I am anxious to get down there and get the details.

Otherwise, it's life as usual here in Fiji. I should be able to get back up here next week. Hope all is well....

2 comments:

Alisha Duffield said...

Hi Aric. My name is Alisha its nice to meet you ya know through your blog that is. I will be on my way to Fiji this coming May as a Health Promoter. I really have enjoyed reading your blog about your adventure in Fiji and love the pictures. I can't wait to actually see the real stuff. I would appreciate it if you could maybe think of some advice for newcomers coming your way. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Alisha Duffield

P.S. my e-mail is Alisha_Duff_21@yahoo.com

jhilton said...

Hey Bickel. It's been a while so I had a bit of catching up to do. But looks like you're doing well.
Where's the love for the 'Canes? They've got a bit of a streak going too.
Howie would be a fantastic dog name.
Take it easy,
Howard