Friday, June 15, 2007

Planning for a site visit

To start: The information, views, and opinions listed in this blog are not those of the Peace Corps, and should not be read as such.

Alright, so it seems like for the time being i should be able to make it to internet access on the weekends (that is atleast until I leave for my perminent site in August). It has been an excellent week. Aside from the language classes, we visited a current volunteers site on Tues, Namatakua village (which is situated along the Queens Road in southern Viti Levu). There we went through several technical seminars on building composting toilets, starting village recycling programs, and mitigating piggery wastes in a village setting. Thursday we had a joint session with all of the currently training volunteers in a nearby village (Daku). Following the training seminars the village youth preformed a traditional meke (or dance) for us; which was immedietely followed by a decent amount of kava drinking and dancing (the village had an extremely talented band; i swear every fijin can play an instrument and sing). On Friday we visited an adjacent village to mine (Monera[sp?]) for a mangrove seminar in preparation for a workshop on monday on reforesting harvested mangrove areas. This morning (our saturday), they dropped (in small groups) in Suva where we were given 14 or so destination and objectives that we had to acheive on our own. It was relatively interesting using the language to find out bus fares and stops and other necessary information to complete the assigned tasks. The final destination was a pizza place here, where peace corps purchased lunch. It was the first bit of dairy/american food I've had since leaving; and I'd have to say it was glorious.
As Mary alluded, several of the men in the gourp, including myself, have entered into a facial hair growing contest in preparation for our site assignment day (July 4th). Little did they know they were going up against a ringer, and I fully expect to look zz-topish by then. Otherwise, things are still going very well. Next week i will be traveling to nausori to spend the weekend at a current volunteers site; the idea being to get an idea of what it will be like at our own site. Between this, and the mangrove planting on monday it should be a good week, and I should have a bit more two write about next weekend.
My apologies, I have been having difficulty accessing my email accounts on this computer, so if i don't get back to you this week don't take it personally.... I will surely respond as soon as i can.

cheers,

Aric

p.s. Jessica i got your card on thurs, thank you.

10 comments:

Dov said...

Just tell me something quickly...how can I send you shit? Literally!

Sounds like a good time. Enjoy the facial hair.

JHilton said...

I met a girl at a bar (ya, I was pretty excited too). anyway, once I said UM (Cane show!) she asked if I knew playmaker.
$10 says you run into him in Fiji. and $20 says he sports the sulu better than you -Howard

Denise said...

Aric

I think I left my comment on the wrong blog....well an older one.

Sorry...look at the one before. Maybe

Denise

the dawg said...

Aric you SOB, sounds like fun. I'm holdin down over here in beautiful mangrove-free Toledo on the banks of the mighty Erie. Hope you are workin on your tan, i expect you to show up some of those fijins. Holla!

Nate Dizogg

Anonymous said...

Aric,
Talked to your Dad on Sunday and got your blog information. Glad to hear things are going well in Figi. Quick news from Indiana - Lindsay and Erik are officially engaged - no date set yet. Lindsay moves to Ft. Wayne in early August for med school. Chase is scheduled to begin school in October in Orlando - another Florida lover - must be in the Bickel blood.

Hope things continue so well.

Take care,
Jim, Head Coach, Riverside Rollers

tbickel said...

From Mom, please come home ! .....Ok just kidding. Got your email. I'm holding your clothes hostage until I hear your voice . Call me. Love from your favorite mother.

tbickel said...

Hey, give me a heads up on what kind of fish ur eating? Adam Dunn is tearing it up, jessica and the dawg can't stand it. I'll give zeke that big hug for U..... don't get jealous mary, he's still waiting for you.

$10 says xavier continues to spank dayton.


love

Dad

Jessica said...

Hi hun~ I could swear youve already been gone a year. Doesnt it feel like that? Ok Im just crazy. Im pumped that you are having so much fun though. Cant wait to hear instead of read some of that fijian language you are learning. :) Typing it out just doesnt do it justice. Well I miss you a bunch. So much to tell you but I have no idea where to start...Ill send an email full of details soon. Love ya!

dave said...

Good to hear things are going well. I'll send you an email with regards to my life over the last few weeks, as it's been CRAAAAZZYYY. Nonetheless, I can't wait to hear some more updates.
Much love,
Dave

Ken said...

Aric, it good to see what your up to.

Ken