Monday, April 14, 2008

Some Bad News

Savusavu


Children from a village up here


So, some bad news; I found out late last week that the race I had been training for (scheduled for May 17th) has been canceled. This is a bit disappointing as I had been training for it (not including some injury time) for about 30 weeks and had made some travel plans around it, but I’ll have to roll with the punches I guess. There is a triathlon or two coming up on the horizon that I imagine I can continue training for, so all is not lost.
Work has been a little slow this past week. The village visits that my office has been planning have continued to be delayed (it’s now been about 15 days since we were supposed to start), and unfortunately not much else had been planned for this period of time. I do have the national track meet coming up next week (we leave on tues), which is exciting. The two day meet is going to be shown live on television in 12 pacific countries; I’m told it’s the largest secondary school track meet in the world (but these claims have a high probability of being over inflated); at the least, it’s the largest in the pacific. The kids and the school are starting to get excited, and it’s hard not to get wrapped up in the energy. We’ll be in Suva for about 5 days, so it should be interesting traveling around the big city with twenty-one 15-18 year olds.
That is about all that has gone on in the last week. There have been a few people in and out of town, so the place hasn’t been too lonely. The dog is growing quickly and starting to test his boundaries; it’s an exciting time for the little guy. Otherwise all is well. I’ll get back up here before I leave next week for Suva. Take care….

No comments: